Friday 24 July 2009

Yorkshire Coast Kayakfishing 04/07/09





I`ve been dying to get out on the `yak for ages and I did want to get up to the lake district for some Pike action but alas, nobody was playing out and being a social animal I`ve nothing down for 2 days camping and kayaking(fishing) on my own, nevermind the safety issues!

anyhoo! I was trying to tempt my mate Sam Baxter (of www.baxterangling.com) as well as others, he couldn`t make the lakes but offered me the invite to go up to his and get out on the coast (Runswick bay) and then fish the kayak fishing match at Filey the following day. I didn`t think about it too much arranged to stop at my father-in-laws over the Saturday night, dug out my sea gear and I was away!

I arrived at Sams mid afternoon and after a bit of sorting out we headed off to launch where his mate Ben was already out. We sneakily parked where we really shouldn`t and a quick VHF call from Sam to Ben and we set off.
A few speculative chucks with some Bass lures (one of my seasons targets is a lure caught yorkshire Bass) and then off to the Cod grounds for a little jigging. Ben was met and introduced and proceeded to have an hour or so`s jigging with jigs, feathers, hokkais etc.
Long story short I ended up with half a dozen decent mackerel and a cod all falling to hokkais and was great to get out paddling, get some exercise, hook up with sam again and ben for the first time and catch a few and at least give me a little hope for the morning`s match!
So it was back in after a couple of hours and the Yak back on the Van and off to scarboro` for the evening and some chips!

05/07/09 Filey Kayak fishing Competition.

I arranged to meet up with Sam and Ben at 7am and we`d arrive together for the match at Filey.
After getting sorted with the parking and the Kayak set up, £20 fee paid we headed down the steep hill to the beach. Now I have never fished a match of any kind and was really looking forward to the experience and looking around there were plenty of epxerienced kayak anglers about with some lovely looking boats! I was not excactly that optimistic about winning the £500 top prize, but you gotta be innit to winnit!
I headed out with the floatilla of kayaks (I think there was 34 entrants) out beyond the brig and to the known grounds.
I had a decent cod early on but unfortunately that was about it! I lost a ton of gear on the rough ground but it was good again to be out and meeting a few decent people and being on a kayaking social and getting a little burnt from the sun that was sneakily getting me through the clouds!
My Boat for those who know fishing Kayaks is the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game, which is the best fishing platform kayak but its a bit of a barge to paddle! with the tide turning and and the sea getting a little snotty I thought I better head back with an hour to spare and that big ****ing hill also to look forward to! and that was that! I didn`t win anything but I didn`t care one bit, the event was brilliant with some great people met and some good fish caught and the BBQ at the end was a nice touch!
Ben won it BTW with a belter of 13lb, I was pleased for him as he`d given me somer hokkias too!
Well done Ben!
All I had to look forward to now was the A64!

No comments:

Post a Comment